A diesel technician’s primary duties would include performing maintenance, diagnostic, and repair procedures in accordance with dealer and factory quality standards and legal requirements.
- Diagnose repair requirements to include error codes, salvageable parts, warranty eligibility, and scope of work.
- Communicate with Service Advisor/Service Foreman regarding parts requirements, warranty information, and customer preferences before beginning repairs.
- Utilize OEM resources to research repair procedures, troubleshooting steps, and warranty instructions.
- Perform repairs efficiently and accurately, working in a safe manner.
- Demonstrate discretion in knowing when to utilize resources available for troubleshooting and when to seek help.
- Communicate with Service Advisor/Service Foreman regarding unexpected repairs or issues that weren’t outlined on the repair order.
- Identify recommended preventive measures and communicate to the Service Advisor/Service Foreman.
- Check work for accuracy including road testing vehicles when needed.